What is a Charter School?
The Shiocton International Leadership Academy (SILA) is a charter school. We are a tuition-free public school that works to ensure that students learn and master the traditional subjects taught in public schools; but in new individualized, and innovative ways.
- Are free to the public and offer an option in public education
- Are non-religious
- Are open to all children
- Employ fully-qualified teachers
- Participate in statewide testing programs
Why do we need Charter Schools?
- Autonomy Charter schools are self-governed and provide greater autonomy to operate free from district rules and collective bargaining agreements.
- Accountability In exchange for greater autonomy, charter schools are held more accountable for meeting student achievement goals because their charter can be revoked for non-performance.
- Choice Charter schools provide greater choice to parents and students seeking alternatives to public education.
- Innovation Because of their autonomy, charter schools are encouraged to be innovative and creative in their educational philosophies. They are also expected to be laboratories for improving and expanding opportunities within public education.
Shiocton International Leadership Academy
We are located in Shiocton, Wisconsin, at N5650 Broad Street. The Shiocton International Leadership Academy (SILA) provides a collaborative and supportive environment where ALL students are encouraged and challenged to do their best work.
The highly trained professional educators understand that people learn differently. Each student attending SILA has a personalized education plan designed to maximize learning. SILA educators know that 21st century learners must have the ability to ask the right questions, and understand how to find the best answers.
The SILA learning community emphasizes
- International Collaboration Students enter a global society and must understand that world from many perspectives.
- Urban Outreach SILA students will partner with Milwaukee area students to work on joint projects throughout the year.
- Verbal and Written Communication Vital to the success of all students and a focus of our school.
- Project-Based Experiential Learning Exploration of real-world problems as a part of the learning process. This type of active and engaged learning inspires students to strive toward deeper learning.
- Arts Infused Curriculum The arts are integrated into core curricular studies and projects.
- Technology and Informational Literacy Each student has a computer and experience with cutting edge technology.
- Health and Wellness Students evaluate their personal health and wellness and be supported in creating plans for improvement.
- Multi-Generational Mentoring Community experts join SILA students in their projects and studies.